Ecster Pay v2 for WooCommerce is a plugin that extends WooCommerce, allowing you to take payments via Ecster’s payment method Ecster Pay.
The plugin can be downloaded for free here.
Account with Ecster
To get started with Ecster Pay, you need to create an account with Ecster. If you are not a customer today you can register here.
If you want to test the module before you make real purchases, you can use the following credentials:
Merchant key (ID): 197405575 API key: 5r3P2XUZaXzY7GhXAEs9xCEspXO50QQ2
Along with the credentials you use, you also need to activate Test mode in the extension settings to make test purchases.
To make test purchases, you also need to use test data as a customer in checkout. Use personnummer 651106-3155 in Mobile Bank ID to make a standard test purchase.
To be able to create a test purchase, the total amount on the order can’t end with the digit 8 or 9.
- Download the .zip file
- Go to: WordPress Admin > Plugins > Add New and upload the file via Upload plugin.
- Install Now and Activate.
Required WordPress/WooCommerce settings
For the callback (communication from Ecster back to your webshop) to work, you need to consider the following:
- Make sure that you have enabled pretty permalinks in your WordPress installation. Otherwise callbacks from Ecster back to your store won’t work and orders will not be updated with the correct order status/information.
- To get the order total to match between WooCommerce and Ecster you need to configure WooCommerce to display prices with 2 decimals. More information about displaying of prices and how it can cause rounding issues can be found in this article.
- Callbacks will not work if you have a test environment that is not publicly accessible. If you work in a local development environment, we recommend that you use a service like ngrok or similar.
- You need to specify a terms page in WooCommerce’s Settings.
- Navigate to → WooCommerce → Settings → Payments → Ecster Pay.
- Enable Ecster Pay by checking the Enable/Disable checkbox.
- Title – Enter the title for the payment method displayed in the checkout and order confirmation emails.
- Description – Enter the description of the payment method shown at checkout.
- API key – Enter the API key received from Ecster.
- Merchant key – Enter the Merchant key received from Ecster (Merchant ID).
- Test mode – Tick the checkbox if you make purchases using a test account.
- Logging – Check the Logging to save debug messages to the WooCommerce System Status log that can be found by navigating to → WooCommerce → System Status → Logs.
- Other payment method button text – Text used for the button displayed in checkout to switch to another payment method if you have more than Ecster Pay activated in WooCommerce. Leave blank to use the default text.
- Manage orders – Check this box if you want to cancel an order in Ecsters system automatically when the order is marked as Cancelled in WooCommerce and charge an order in Ecsters system automatically when the order is marked as Completed in WooCommerce.
- Allowed customer types – Select if you want to sell both to consumers and companies or only to one of them.
When an order is created in WooCommerce and a reservation number exists in Ecsters system, you have the possibility to handle the order management in Ecster directly from WooCommerce. This way you can save time and don’t have to work in both systems simultaneously.
Read more about how to work with Order management here.
The plugin itself has no limitations regarding currency.
However, please note that there can be limitations in the agreement you have with Ecster.
When it comes to questions regarding supported currencies you should always talk to your payment provider. The exception is when the plugin in fact do have limitations.
You can see what currencies Ecster Pay support and read more about it here.
If the Ecster Pay iframe doesn’t appear after you have followed the instructions (and you do not get an error message during checkout) we recommend that you temporarily set WP_DEBUG to true in wp-config.php. Learn more about debugging in WordPress here. Then you can report the error to us and we will help you further.
Before you go live
When you are finished with the installation and configuration your shop need to meet a number of criteria before Ecster approves the store.
- Guest checkout needs to be enabled in WooCommerce (check the box “Allow customers to place orders without an account” in → WooCommerce → Settings → Accounts).
- Ecster Pay should be the default payment method (can be adjusted in the section Payment Gateways in → WooCommerce → Settings → Payments).
- Since the checkout flow is supposed to be as friction free as possible, Ecster recommends that Enable registration on the “Checkout” page is deactivated (in → WooCommerce → Settings → Accounts).
- The Ecster logotype should be visible on the home page (for example in the footer). Logos can be found here.
- Ecster also have a checklist containing information about legal information, pricing display and terms. Be sure to check this list before you go live.
Compatibility with themes & plugins
- Ecster Pay uses its own template file for displaying the checkout page and should work with most themes. However, the plugin is only tested with the Storefront theme and we do not guarantee that it will work with other themes. Common situations when errors occur are:
– Themes/plugins with customized template files for WooCommerce checkout page.
– Themes/plugins that modifies the checkout into a multi step checkout.
Krokedil and Ecster do not offer help with adapting your theme or plugin within regular support.